According to the Education Act 2002, the purpose of maintained school governing bodies is to ‘conduct the school with a view to promoting high standards of educational achievement at the school’.
In all types of schools, governing bodies should have a strong focus on three core strategic functions:
a. Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
b. Holding the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff;
c. Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
The full Fox Federation Governing Body meets every half term. Agendas and approved minutes for these meetings can be found here. In addition there are two committees, the Finance and Staffing Committee and the Premises and Curriculum Committee, which meet in advance of the full governing body for more detailed discussions and to review policy documents. There terms of reference for these committees can be found here.
The Governing Body is comprised of 13 members and the composition is as follows:
One Ex Officio (Headteacher)
One staff member elected by school staff
One appointed by the Local Authority
Two elected by parents of the school
Eight Co-opted governors appointed by the Governing Body according to skills.
INSTRUMENT OF GOVERNMENT THE FOX FEDERATION
1. The name of the Federation is The Fox Federation.
2. The names of the schools in the Federation are:
1. Ashburnham Community School
2. Avonmore Primary School
3. Fox Primary School
The schools are all maintained Primary Schools.
3. The name of the governing body is “The governing body of the Fox Federation”
4. The governing body shall consist of:
a). Two parent governors b). One LA governor
c). One staff governor
d). One Executive Headteacher (Ex-Officio)
e). Eleven co-opted governors
5. Total number of governors 16.
6. The term of office of each category of governor is four years.
7. This instrument of government comes into effect on 20th May 2019.
8. This instrument was made by order of Kensington and Chelsea Local Authority on 30 April 2019.
9. A copy of the instrument must be supplied to every member of the governing body (and the Executive Headteacher if not a governor).